Despite rain, Tusty still a go, while organizers eye course change

Jan 25, 2019

Tustumena 200 Sled Dog Race organizers are already on Plan B due to the wet weather and are standing by to see if Plan C needs to be implemented.

Race Marshal Tami Murray said at noon that a small course change has already been made, bypassing a melted ice bridge on the southern section.

If trail conditions deteriorate any further, the race route may become the now-familiar double loop in the Homer Section of the course. It has been used in previous low-snow winters.

A decision on the 200-mile race course will be made by around 5 p.m. when a mushers’ meeting is scheduled.

Two mushers from off the Peninsula have pulled out of the race, Murray said, citing travel conditions, though she did not name them.