Man Who Claimed To Have A Bomb Near The U.S. Capitol Surrenders

Aug 19, 2021
Originally published on August 19, 2021 11:50 am

Updated August 19, 2021 at 3:47 PM ET

A man who claimed to have a bomb in his pickup truck in front of the Library of Congress has surrendered, ending an hours-long standoff.

The suspect — identified by authorities as 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry from Grover, N.C. — is now in custody.

It's not clear if there was an actual bomb.

"He gave up, did not resist, and our folks were able to take him into custody," U.S. Capitol Police Chief J. Thomas Manger said on Thursday. "We don't know what his motives are at this time."

Manger said police negotiated with Roseberry by writing on a white board. Eventually police used a robot in an attempt to give him a phone to communicate with, but Manger said Roseberry declined to use it. Manger said shortly afterwards Roseberry got out of the vehicle and he was taken into custody without incident.

U.S. Capitol Police Chief J. Thomas Manger speaks to reporters about police investigation on a report of a possible explosive device in a pickup truck outside the Library of Congress on Aug. 19, 2021.
Jose Luis Magana / AP

The truck has been removed from the scene. Manger said "we don't know as of yet" whether there was an actual bomb.

Manger said Roseberry's mother had recently died and that according to his family, "there were other issues that he was dealing with."

Facebook removed the suspect's profile and deactivated his livestream

Earlier in the day, law enforcement officers from the Cleveland County, N.C., as well as federal law enforcement officials, went to Roseberry's residence, said Philip Todd, chief deputy of the Cleveland County, N.C., sheriff's office.

"As far as I know, the FBI has interviewed the wife and she is cooperating," Todd told NPR's Carrie Johnson.

Several hours after the report of the incident, Facebook said it had deactivated a livestream, purportedly of the suspect in his truck.

A pickup truck is parked on the sidewalk in front of the Library of Congress' Thomas Jefferson Building, as seen from a window of the U.S. Capitol, on Aug. 19, 2021. A man sitting in the pickup truck outside the Library of Congress told police that he had a bomb. He surrendered later in the day.
Alex Brandon / AP

"Not only deactivated the livestream, but we also removed his profile from Facebook and are continuing to investigate," said Andy Stone, director of policy communications at Facebook, said on Twitter.

In at least one of the videos, a man can be seen making anti-government remarks as well as saying he had ammonium nitrate in his truck's tool box.

Lawmakers are mostly away from Washington for the August recess

Manger told reporters that the man drove a black pickup onto the sidewalk in front of the library's Jefferson Building at 9:15 a.m. ET and told an officer he had a bomb. The officer said the man had what appeared to be a detonator in his hand.

The bomb threat came as Congress continues to investigate the Jan.6th insurrection at the Capitol, when a mob of demonstrators supporting then-President Donald Trump stormed the building.

Several streets in the area were closed as a result of the threat, as well as nearby buildings, including the U.S. Supreme Court and Congress. The FBI said its Washington Field Office responded to the incident, along with agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Neither the House of Representatives nor the Senate is in session, and most lawmakers are not in their offices.

Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.